Chronic pain can attack any part of the body, and your jaw is no exception. A sore jaw can sometimes be attributed to an underlying problem that needs to be addressed by a health professional. At Integrated Health Solutions, we recognize that your situation is unique. No matter what health-related challenges you’re dealing with, you can depend on our advanced medical team of integrated medical specialists for solutions that work. We treat a range of common, painful conditions, including temporomandibular disorders (TMJD).
What is TMJD?
TMJD refers to disorders of the joints or muscles of the jaw. A malfunctioning jaw can make everyday tasks challenging. If you have TMJD, you may experience:
- Muscle stiffness and joint pain
- Pain originating in the jaw that radiates into the neck, ears, or temples
- A popping or clicking sound when you move your jaw
- Trouble eating due to pain or discomfort while chewing
- Limited movement in the jaw
Pay close attention to how your jaw feels, and listen carefully for unusual sounds. Report any tenderness right away. TMJD is caused by several underlying conditions and lifestyle factors:
- Stress. There is a link between TMJD and those who are regularly stressed or have anxiety disorders. The reasoning is because when you are stressed, you may grind your teeth or tense your muscles, leading to stiffness and discomfort. These actions are often done subconsciously.
- Arthritis. If you have arthritis or an inflammatory disorder, you are at a higher risk of TMJD. Degenerative conditions can wear down the jaw joint and cause significant pain when you chew or speak.
- Trauma to the Jaw. Any injuries or trauma to the jaw can lead to TMJD. A blow to the jaw can dislocate the joint, leading to pain and that infamous popping sound.
These are only a few of the many reasons you may have TMJD. In many cases, however, individuals may develop TMJD without a clear cause. Regardless of your symptoms or the reason you have a jaw disorder, our integrated medicine team can help.
How a Chiropractor Can Help
Treating TMJD can be as simple as visiting a chiropractor and advanced medical team. Since TMJD is often an issue of the muscles and jaw, chiropractic is highly effective. Treatment will involve several chiropractic maneuvers that help move the jaw back to its proper location. Before getting started, you will speak with one of our team members at a consultation. We’ll learn about your goals and determine why you have TMJD before continuing. We want to provide the best services possible, so we hold these details in high regard.
Chiropractic is an excellent option because TMJD is not typically treated using surgery. Natural treatments like chiropractic are helpful in the long run because they work well at restoring your jaw’s natural mobility. Furthermore, chiropractic reduces pressure on the surrounding nerves, eliminating the pain. There are many benefits to choosing chiropractic for jaw disorders, so talk to our skilled medical professionals to see if our services are right for you.
Visit Integrated Health Solutions
TMJD is treatable via a number of dependable chiropractic procedures. Integrated Health Solutions provides everything you need to eliminate your jaw pain so you can smile, speak, and chew without worry. If you’re ready for a consultation, call our team today! We look forward to working with you.